Friday 16 August 2013

When You Need a Song-and a Prayer


Sometimes, life boxes us into a corner. Sometimes, we help life to do just that. With our ‘interesting’ decision making process, we make choices that are at best, irrational and at worst, life damaging. The senses clear when the repercussions come knocking and then we go “what in the world did I do!”
When in situations like that, a believer calls for mercy. It is one of the things we do and should do best, since it is the very basis of our relationship with God. King David was very good at this.
When you need a song-and a prayer
Apart from this, we also need to consistently and consciously repeat God’s word to ourselves- especially to reassure ourselves not only of God’s grace and forgiveness but also of His infallible promises to go through life with us- self-inflicted horrors and all.
Personally, I find that during these times, songs that are ‘shamelessly’ lifted from The Bible work a lot. You know how the Word is for correction, reproof, edification, instruction, you name it (2Timothy 3:16). Like the worship leader said on Wednesday, when you sing these types of songs, you are worshipping, confessing, praying and praising all at the same time!
At this very point in my life, the word I’m trying desperately to clutch on to is found in Isaiah 54, especially the 10th verse. It goes:
“For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed, but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee.”
Apart from memorising it, I have been trying to check if there is a song that is based on that verse, or preferably that lifts it word for word. It would do me a world of good. I am yet to find one and I am not one of those musically extremely talented people who can compose a song on a whim.
However, I thank God for Christian song writers who have given us a wide range of scripture based song. This is not to say that only scripture quoting songs are edifying, but they have their times and place and use, like now.

No comments:

Post a Comment