Friday 28 June 2013

FREE FRIDAY MUSIC REVUE: MORALITY TO YOU, JUSTICE TO ME



Cathy Burton:www.christianbits.com
I don’t remember who said it but I saw this quote online recently: “…morality to me, justice to you” (Hope I’m quoting it right). We can go ahead and expand, deduce, explain and interpret that quote in different ways but one thing we should consider is this- deal with people how you want them to deal with you. Don’t deal out a certain measure and expect another. The Bible tells us that we will be judged with the same measure that we judge people. Perhaps this should make us stop and think about how we treat one another. I have always found it interesting how people who are nasty towards others expect the same people to be nice to them. I believe that Jesus has called us to treating people right regardless of how they treat us but we still should learn to sow the right seeds.
Recently, I particularly have found that I need to relate with people with more grace, mercy and kindness because no matter how tough people are, everyone needs compassion. That is the opening line of Cathy Burton’s Mighty to Save. I have also heard a version by Don Moen but the message is pretty much the same- everyone needs compassion.
Since we’ve been considering the issue of fellowship among brethren this week, I thought this song drives the message home right from the very first line. People have been known to leave a church, a group and even the Christian faith because some other people were mean to them. Perhaps their reasoning sounds childish to you but not everybody has the tough skin that relating with pretty abrasive people require.
You may have met folks like that. In Scott Webb’s language, “they just seem to always rub you on the wrong side”. It is true that there are people who pick offences at the slightest misunderstanding but we still have to relate with one another with compassion. I am not certain that I will ever be confident enough to preach a message on love but I can say a few things about showing understanding and just cutting people some slack. Meanwhile, If you are the abrasive person, you are inexcusable. Think about how you’ll feel to know that someone left your church because of how you treated them.
Another way this song speaks to me is through the chorus; regardless of the category you fall into-the abrasive- frumpy- grumpy- Christian or the one who feels wronged, God is able to save you; to give you grace to be gracious and grace or to take it all in stride, depending on which group you are in.
Let’s not forget the reason for our coming together in fellowship: to affirm one another, to bless one another and to correct one another in love. It is as simple as ABC.
So before I turn a Friday post into a Monday post with the long speech, here is me saying enjoy the song (it is pretty popular), think on it, act on it.
Have a great weekend.
MIGHTY TO SAVE –CATHY BURTON
Everyone needs compassion,
A love that’s never ending
Let mercy fall on me
Every needs forgiveness
The kindness of a saviour
The hope of nations

Chorus:
Saviour, He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save.
He is mighty to save.
Forever, author of salvation;
He rose and conquered the grave.
Jesus conquered the grave.

So take me as you find me;
All my fears and failures
Fill my life again.
I give my life to follow;
Everything I believe in,
Now I surrender.
Chorus:
Saviour, He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save
He is mighty to save
Forever, author of salvation
He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave

Shout it loud and let the whole world sing
For the glory of the risen king

No comments:

Post a Comment