Thursday 21 November 2013

Embrace Your Transformer


I'm joining the folks who say "go hug a transformer if you don't like me." This is about hugging The transformer-you know, your Bible. Aha.
The Bible is an incredible book. Many things in it are amazing. Sometimes, they are amusing. The other day, I read that Samson’s (would have been) father-in-law gave away Samson’s new bride to the groom’s man after the wedding when Samson didn’t appear to have his acts together. That’s some drama. If he was going to give his wife away, did it have to be to the groom’s man who was also Samson’s friend? It totally beats reality TV.
Let the word change you.
This story is an example of why it is puzzling to hear people say the Bible is boring. Which part? The historical romance (hello, Ruth)? The science-fiction (Genesis, Revelations)? The thriller (Judges comes to mind)? The drama-comedy, tragedy and farce? This is not an attempt to reduce The Word to a literature text. The Bible was not made to entertain us we are privileged to have it presented in a way we can relate with and we should take advantage of this gift to allow the Word to work in us. We talked about why we study the Bible and this verse of scripture nicely sums it up:
2Timothy 3:14-17
14 You, however, must continue in the things you have learned and are confident about. You know who taught you
15 and how from infancy you have known the holy writings, which are able to give you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
16 Every scripture is inspired by God and useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
17 that the person dedicated to God may be capable and equipped for every good work.  
Let’s not get passive. Let’s not read for duty sake; this word is God’s provision for our transformation and if we allow The Spirit of God embedded in it, it is able to change us.
This is not about change in theory; it is a practical thing and I’m sure that between us, there are many examples.
 Recently, for me it has meant reading Ephesians 5: 4  and deciding that I need to re-evaluate the content of my word dispenser. It has made me realize that no matter how mad Lagos bus conductors make me, it is not fitting for me to swear. It has meant that I have to re-evaluate certain relationships where fitting in subtly requires the ability to tell or laugh at coarse jokes. This is not being legalistic; it is not trying to fit in; it is simply being gradually conformed to be image of Christ.
For me, it has meant latching on to Psalm63:2 even as my family goes through a defining phase of our lives. I’ll be first to let up that I am not perfect-far from it. I have not apprehended, but like Paul, I am on a journey to apprehend the reason for which Christ apprehended me. I am not where I should be but I am not also where I used to be. For this, I am grateful. The word has changed me in a way and it will keep changing me until the day that my very body is redeemed.
Let the word change you my friend, not only in your behavior but from the inside –out, from the very fountain of your thoughts. Let it change your spirit. Let it conform you to the image of Christ by the renewal of your mind. A man may not be able to help us change but in the written word of God, the power that raised Jesus from the dead is present to transform us from darkness to light and from death to life. After all, His word is life. Amen.
I have observed that there is a method to how our study translates to transformation. There is a major technique that works-always. I struggled and continue to struggle with applying this technique but it always works. Next week Tuesday, we will consider this single most important activity from the human end that makes the word transforms us.
How has the Bible changed your recently? Am I the only one giving up swearing? Please share with us in the comments section.



No comments:

Post a Comment